Saturday, April 7, 2012

AutoXray AX2500 I'd Buy It Again

AutoXray AX2500 I'd Buy It Again.
I'm a bonehead mechanic. When an engine warning light goes on, I hate having to take my car to a shop & then being trapped with their diagnosis and fix. So after checking Consumer Reports, I bought their highly-rated AutoXray CodeScout 2500. The warning light on my 2005 Dodge Caravan came on at 52,000 miles. I already had myself convinced that it was an oxygen sensor, because they are usually the first to fail. But SURPRISE, the Code Reader showed a code & diagnosis of a clogged or leaky EGR valve. I didn't even know what that was, but after checking online, I learned what the EGR valve looks like and where it's located on the engine. I bought a new one from the dealer, and installed it. Because I'm a bonehead, it took me several hours to do the job. But I figure my scanner is already paid for just in the savings on one job! The only difficulty I experienced with this product was getting the rubber cover off to insert the batteries. Otherwise it's pretty darn slick!

No comments:

Post a Comment